Friday, December 2, 2016

Every morning 'What Should I wear?' dilemma !

My mornings are spent at my cupboard door thinking and sighing on how I don't have anything to wear nor the space to keep my clothes. My cupboard is full of stuff that's just not right for the occasion of the day. Sometimes it's a critical meeting or a volunteer engagement or running an errand.  In last few month's it's been long backpacking trips. Everything is either too dressy, too dull or simply uncomfortable.

Each occasion calls for a different kind of clothing ranging from formals, smart casuals, traditional and sometimes just plain comfortable. Not to mention the mind-boggling co-ordination of shoes, accessories, makeup and right undergarments.  It is so frustrating! I truly and deeply admire the women who have the patience and the desire to meticulously co-ordinate all the elements and look as if they have come out of a glossy magazine.

A few years back when I was literally a shopaholic  I made a pact with myself that I will buy only if I really need and I have stuck with it (Well mostly! I have slipped on few occasion) Also every few months I clear out my cupboard and organize it. Yet my morning are depressing. So I have decided to do a 100 day no shopping resolution starting today and made a rough plan.

So here is my strategy for  not buying in the first 100 days of 2017
  • Don't buy even a single piece of clothing. 
  • Don't buy for occasions. This is my most impulsive purchases
  • Wear all the clothes in the cupboard even if it's too dressy, looks a bit worn-out, a bit uncomfortable
  • Alter clothes that don't fit
  • Repair if it's mildly torn or throw it away
  • Let go if it doesn't fit anymore. (Not going to loose that 1 kg from waist to wear that long skirt)
  • Accessorise with existing accessories if the clothes are dull
  • Borrow from friends and family. Yup! this is a new one.
  • Rationing the clothes. Keep some for later use in a separate space cause I have same tops in different colours. I know I am smart shopper
Exceptions that I will make
  • Will buy undergarments
  • Will buy to pair with existing clothes e.g skirt that's floating without a top, white pants with no shirt to go with etc
  • Stitch using existing materials(I have tons
  • Except clothing as a gift. 


If you need some inspiration to do your wardrobe management. Here are some good reads which inspired me to take an active step to manage my 'what should I wear' dilemma, rather than fighting with my husband for more wardrobe space.

7 eye opening lessons I learned from buying nothing new for 200 days


No comments:

Post a Comment